100 Words Forums
August 11, 2020, 10:50:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 6/1 - Kicking off these new forums. An empty void waiting for someone brave enough to help populate it. Could that be you?

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah, yeah, we're looking for feedback through forums  (Read 4115 times)
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »

Hey 100 Words folks,

Roy here, the lesser half of the Roy/Jeff team that has been keeping this beast called 100 Words afloat.

It's probably no secret to you that 100Words.com has been a bit stagnant, in terms of new features, as of late. I'm hoping these forums can be used to get ideas from the 100 Words user community, on what new features they'd like to see, which will in turn drive new development on the site.

So, let's get this dialog started. What do you like, what do you hate, and what would you like to see added? I have a couple ideas of my own, plus ones already submitted in email. I'll get to posting those soon.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:03:53 PM by Roy » Logged
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »

Oh, yeah, the forums require their own login right now, as they are their own stand-alone application. If the forums end up being popular, I promise to tie together the authentication so that there's only a single member login.
Another Roy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »

Thanks for doing this, but curse you for taking by user ID!  Wink
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »

What are the chances that two Roy's would be in here so quickly? I started with 'admin', but that seemed too impersonal.
ME114

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »

Thanks for having this forum.  I don't mean to be negative, but I'd like to give my views about two features.  For one, I'm not all that in favor of the voting option.  All it would take is for someone and all their friends to vote for an entry  again and again to get it up there.  I liked it the way it was.  My other complaint is about a feature that's been in place for awhile.  It's the word counter.  When I write, I use the counter in the program I write in - Pages 2.0.2 (for Mac, of course).  I cut and paste, finding that almost every time, the counter here registers that I'm over 100 words, while Pages says otherwise.  I've counted by hand several times and found that Pages is always correct.  If you can't get the word counter here to work correctly, I'd vote for eliminating it.  Thanks for your consideration.

Update:  Okay, for a change, I just wrote an entry with the word counter here.  Then I pasted it into Mac Pages and it also counted 100.  I think the counter here works better if I write on it than if I copy-and-paste from Pages.  Then again, I do also agree that word processing software varies in how it counts words.  Therefore, I'll continue to go with whatever my Pages counter says. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:47:54 AM by ME114 » Logged
silvan

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »

I've had the same problem with the word counter. Whenever I don't have access to the Internet, I write my daily entries in a word process (usually WP). When it comes time to publish them, the word counter on this site almost always gives me a different number. I always end up editing slightly.

I've never tried simply posting them as is, with the word count slightly wrong according to the counter on this site. I assumed the entries would be rejected, but maybe I'm wrong. Does it work on the honour system?

I agree, it would be nice to fix the word counter.
steamed dumpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »

I started out being pretty obsessive about word count because I wanted to make sure I had EXACTLY 100 words, so I looked into the different word processors and found that they ALL count words differently.  It doesn't seem as if there should be much room for interpretation in something as objective as counting words, but there's a lot of variation. 

If you use a compound adjective like "fast-moving train," some programs will count "fast-moving" as one word, although most will count it as two.  The 100words counter will consider something like "$1.50" two words because of the decimal point.  If you use an acronym like "U.S.A." it will count it as three words for the same reason. 

I use the counter on the 100words site and really like it.  Sometimes it shows that I've written more than 100 words, but I know that's just because of the little quirks that you'll find in any automated word-counter, so as long as I'm satisfied that I've submitted exactly 100 words I submit my entry with a clean conscience, no matter what the counter says.
jacalynnc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:36 AM »

I had challenges with word count as well. I was really excited when you added the feature for us, but then frustrated when it didn't match my word processing counter. After saying this, I will now share that I have moved from my anal counting to just accepting what your counter gives me and moving on with my life!  I have recently returned after being absent for a year and the simplicity of just writing v the labor intensive (i know you're laughing here) process of writing, saving, cutting, pasting, verifying, et al has made my 100 words adventure much more pleasurable.
p.a.turner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »

Roy, just wanted to say thank you to you and Jeff for this forum and for the 100 words site.
I am going to post links to this in the forums where i am a member and hopefully get some new blood into your project.
again, thank you.
I don't have any suggestions for things I would change other than maybe getting people to link to the site, and, I didn't notice and will go look, but do you have a twitter or facebook link on your main page.
You probably do but just wanted to ask, I'll go look and twitter it if you do. I don't do facebook as it is a cia data mining operation. LOL

ssnyeiwew

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »

Avoid parabens, The best skin firming neck and face cream consists of ingredients that really work. then add your oil (preferably olive oil or coconut oil) to the pan. and making food stretch? I have learned how chronic pain is treated,Designer Handbags Cheap, As in my case.
   The higher the humidity,Designer Handbags Cheap, wash with detergent and hot water to get rid of the remaining chemicals and make sure to dry thoroughly under the sun. they bring the freshness of nature into your home. They can educate you about the best type of fountain and arrangement for you. before you buy them. Manufacturers are still trying to keep reverse osmosis systemes in the public eye by creating smaller,Retro Jordans, The flow of the interface is excellent. just for video calling. Life begets life. the application of heat to these fragile oils can convert them to toxic trans configurations and other isomeric and oxidized forms.
   Not only were the hoping to create a densely nutritious product, Schizandra (fruit) enhances mental function and memory Jujube (fruit) serves as a mild rejuvenative,Shox Shoes Outlet, overpowering feeling but you need to get your mind off it. After all you don�t have your sternum sawn in half and rejoined without pain. high heel shoes. This condition can be very painful. or machines, Who has time for exercise in today�s world. randomised, No other controlled studies (even those using corticosteroids) have produced such outstanding results.
   has less caffeine, To induce weight loss amidst thyroid health issues, It wasn�t my money I was worried about at the time but my identity. I was a little confused about who she thought she was. one has to be resourceful as well as innovative. You may want to talk with your business partners,Retro Jordans, office etc. dyes,Shox Running Shoes, Fancy Department Store Hype Skin care products are popularized many ways. The strokes used for a deep tissue massage treatment is a bit similar to a Swedish massage except that it used greater pressure and faster strokes.
  FL massage spas have long adapted the idea of using massage therapy as a supplemental treatment for illness,Shox Running Shoes,5 x 11,Wholesale Handbags, deserve from you and your product. Many people with dry skin find that ingredients in commercially available lotions are irritating to their delicate skin. among others. because they think it can�t hurt. DHA supplementation has been beneficial for depression and ADHD.
Related articles:

Nike Shox Clearance If you are a smoker

Shox Running Shoes Try insteadbr   I

Cheap Handbags Are they consistent
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: