100 Words Forums
August 11, 2020, 10:17:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 6/1 - Kicking off these new forums. An empty void waiting for someone brave enough to help populate it. Could that be you?

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Allowing real-time publishing of entries?  (Read 6168 times)
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »

Raquel wrote using the 100 Words feedback feature with this suggestion...

It's not really a question...it's more of a suggestion. I think that you should publish work as soon as we hit submit. I don't like the "wait til the end of the month to see all of this person's work". If the person is all caught up, I think the work should be published. If they are not caught up, I understand not publishing it. But I definitely think that you shouldn't wait til the end of the month to let others see all of the work. Or maybe you could even make a setting so that writers can choose to publish it daily or all at once at the end of the month. Sorry that was so long :) thanks for listening. love this site!

Any thoughts whether it's time to loosen up the "nobody sees your entries until the end of the month" requirement? I'm thinking, in this world of short attention spans and constantly divided attention, that it might be a good motivator to see the daily submissions from the other 100 Words contributors.

What do you folks think?
jodi47

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »

I think that is a wonderful idea. I would love to not have to wait til the end of the month to have my 100 words published. I think this website could turn into a great social network for writers and having only one option of posting 3,000 words at the end of each month seems a little bit long to have to wait for my words to be published for the world of 100 words to see. I like Raquel's idea. She seems like a smart girl! You should put her on your team!
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, you're all on "the team".

I was thinking about some sort of Advent calendar approach. Basically, once you complete a given day for a given batch, you would then be invited to read everyone elses submissions for that same day. So, once you completed June 1, for example, you are enabled to view all other June 1 entries.

Obviously, if you're the first one to complete a specific day, you're not going to be able to read the other entries until they submit theirs too.

How does that approach sound?
Fyrefly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »

I think that a registered member having access to other members' daily posts is fine, but for me, to have each completed day accessible to the general public right away takes away most of my motivation and enjoyment to complete the month. I am driven by knowing that I won't get the whole month up there for all to see unless I do each day.

The difference between this site and other general blogs is that feature, I think. Otherwise, if everyone in the world can read my writing each day, why not just write on my blog? Just my 2 cents.
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »

Fyrefly,

I am leaning toward leaving the balance of the rules in place, including the one that requires you to finish the batch in order to get published.

Let me experiment with a feature where you're allowed to view other members entries for the current month, once you've submitted your own entry for that day/batch. It would have some sort of confirmation like "Thanks for submitting your June 3rd entry. You can look at what other people have submitted for this date by following this link".

These ideas aren't cast in stone. Just trying to find ways to offer a little more variety and encouragement.
staring

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »

It was a good idea, but I agree with Fyrefly. The fact that you have to complete a month in order to get published is what distinguishes this forum from Facebook. I for one enjoy the end of the month anticipation and I think it encourages self-discipline.  

Also, there are so many batches from members that I've yet to read. If we could all read each other's entries immediately, batches published last month, last year or 5 years ago would probably never be read. Just my opinion  Cool
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:38:59 PM by staring » Logged
Another Roy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »

I don't want to see the rules change either: if you don't finish the month, you don't get published.

But I agree that it can feel pretty lonely here halfway into the month, so I wouldn't object to letting people see partly finished batches, or perhaps running more one-off minibatches (like the Swine Flu or the Obama batch) just to keep new stuff coming in.
silvan

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:48:20 AM »

Remove delayed publication? Absolutely not. That is part of the incentive to finish for me, too. It's already easy to find instant gratification in a gazillion other places.

And personally I am opposed to letting the daily posts be viewable by anyone while in process. Sometimes I use 100 Words to experiment with writing about topics I find difficult or scary. One benefit is that if I decide the topic makes me too uncomfortable I can choose not to complete the batch and no one else will ever read it. So far that has never happened. By the end of the month I have always been ready to make the ideas public. It is an experiment in courage.

If my writing became viewable day to day, I would have to lose some of my candour. Or I might try to do it somewhere else, but there is not a better anywhere else, so it might not happen, at least not in such a structured and productive way. Which would be disappointing.

If daily posts were viewable to others, could it be possible for individuals to opt out?
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »

If daily posts were viewable to others, could it be possible for individuals to opt out?

Hey Silvan,

Thanks for sharing your feelings on the 'Advent' feature.

I would be willing to add a profile option for anyone to opt-out. Basically, some sort of checkbox that says "I would prefer other members not be allowed to see my incomplete batches".

I will include that option when I launch the feature in beta.

Roy
dr1nk1ngm3rcury

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »

Remove delayed publication? Absolutely not.

I'll agree with that.
silvan

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 08:05:43 AM »

I would be willing to add a profile option for anyone to opt-out. Basically, some sort of checkbox that says "I would prefer other members not be allowed to see my incomplete batches".

Excellent!
GustavMahler

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »

My 2 cents ... leave rules the way they are and/or perhaps utilize some incarnation of this Advent idea. Smiley
ME114

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 05:32:17 PM »

I agree about keeping the rules as is.  It does give this blog a unique quality.  True, there are plenty of blogs that publish immediately.
silvan

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:09 AM »

if you don't finish the month, you don't get published.

The more I think about it, the more I believe you should stick with this rule. If you give people the option of publishing as they go, it would probably change the quality of this site too much. I'm a bit of a lone wolf, but do find it encouraging to know that I'm writing with others who are committed to the same discipline.

By the way, a friend of mine used the site for a month, 100 words a day. She started in the middle of the month and went to the middle of the next month. She said it was therapeutic and she didn't want anyone to read what she had written. Yeah, I was disappointed I didn't get to see it! But I thought that was a cool way for somebody to use the site, too.
steamed dumpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »

Hi,

I wanted to add another vote for keeping the publication rules the way they are.  One of the nice things about this site is that it is used by people who take the task seriously, and I'm afraid that altering the rules might change that.  Those who are into more instant publication gratification can go for the single-entry or one-week batches.

Beyond that, even if it were possible to read other entries as they're posted, I don't think I would want to take advantage of it.  I think many writers on this site intend their batches to be read all at once, and even when they don't it's always interesting to see certain themes and ideas emerge when you look at the month as a whole.

Thanks very much for starting this forum, it's a great idea!   Grin

SD

ps- maybe you could add an extra forum single-entry batch themes?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: