100 Words Forums
August 11, 2020, 11:26:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 6/1 - Kicking off these new forums. An empty void waiting for someone brave enough to help populate it. Could that be you?

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A few ideas  (Read 6296 times)
Another Roy

View Profile Email
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »

First of all, thanks for all the good work on the site over the years. I've been participating on and off for almost nine years now and would love to see 100words continue and improve.

Here are some of my ideas, in no particular order:

-- Allow people to include a photo with their entry to add some visual interest to the site. I've created a handful of these over the years and sent them to my friends and even turned them into greeting cards. But I couldn't post them to 100words.

-- Provide URLs to individual stories instead of whole batches. This would let us to show specific stories to people, where we might not be able to convince them to scan through a whole batch.

-- Allow us, officially, to link to other stories and websites. I've done this once or twice but felt bad that I was breaking the rules.

-- Set up some sort of mechanism for group writing. I'm in my third month of doing this with a couple of friends where every day we write a piece inspired by the person who wrote before us. (See http://drinkthenewwine.blogspot.com/.) And boy does it make the writing come easier. People could come up with their own rules, and all you'd need to do is allow people to link to other entries.

-- Implement some sort of voting system to bring good entries to the attention of the person that chooses the featured entries.

-- Allow commenting on entries. This could be problematic, but I'd suggest you follow the Youtube paradigm, where people can choose how to manage (or delete) the comments their entries receive.

-- Create a subset of 100words, where we write 100 character stories, which are then distributed on Twitter together with a link to promote the main site.

-- Finally, get some sort of cookie thing going so that I don't have to enter my password every single day!

Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:32 PM »

Thanks, Other Roy, for the idea list. Let me respond to one at a time...

-- Allow people to include a photo with their entry to add some visual interest to the site. I've created a handful of these over the years and sent them to my friends and even turned them into greeting cards. But I couldn't post them to 100words.

Yeah, I thought of something like that too, when Jeff was publishing his own photos with captions. A person could publish 100 words, with a photo for each entry. We could even do something where 30 people each contribute a single photo, then each day everyone gets to write about the next photo.

-- Provide URLs to individual stories instead of whole batches. This would let us to show specific stories to people, where we might not be able to convince them to scan through a whole batch.

Also considered at one time, thought to be a good idea, but not quite implemented. This could be done by using URL slicing tricks, something like...

http://100words.com/sites/membername/batchid/entryid

The code is not in place for this to work, at this time, but I have enough written variations of it that I am confident I could build it. This also starts us on the path of mini-websites, with 'vanity urls' that lead you right to a members published content.

-- Allow us, officially, to link to other stories and websites. I've done this once or twice but felt bad that I was breaking the rules.

That would be a link from within a 100 Words entry, I presume?

I guess it would be useful if you were referring to something outside the website so that people could explore. As long as it doesn't start appearing as spam, or just turn into some attempt to boost a websites Google rankings. Sure is going to make the word counter more difficult for me though.

It would be interesting to get Jeff to chime in on whether the external links still have a reason to be taboo.

-- Set up some sort of mechanism for group writing. I'm in my third month of doing this with a couple of friends where every day we write a piece inspired by the person who wrote before us. (See http://drinkthenewwine.blogspot.com/.) And boy does it make the writing come easier. People could come up with their own rules, and all you'd need to do is allow people to link to other entries.

I had not considered this, but it seems like it could be fun. We had discussed more flexibility with allowing members to create their own batches. They could choose the duration, the theme, then invite other people to participate.

-- Implement some sort of voting system to bring good entries to the attention of the person that chooses the featured entries.

Yep, I have been wanting some better system for choosing the featured entries. A voting system would take the burden off of me. How do I keep people from 'stuffing the ballot box' though? Can people vote for themselves?

-- Allow commenting on entries. This could be problematic, but I'd suggest you follow the Youtube paradigm, where people can choose how to manage (or delete) the comments their entries receive.

Yeah, I like the comment idea too. I've wanted to post my own feedback and remarks on some of the more interesting entries. I'm thinking this feature could be enabled/disabled by the user (Yes, people can attach comments or No, people cannot), plus have them able to delete individual entries.

-- Create a subset of 100words, where we write 100 character stories, which are then distributed on Twitter together with a link to promote the main site.

That might take some time. Would the entries themselves be in 100 word increments too?

-- Finally, get some sort of cookie thing going so that I don't have to enter my password every single day!

Funny you should mention that. Just today, I changed some of the programming that I think will keep you logged in for 2 weeks at a time. I also tried to give some visual indication whether you were logged in by putting your username on the front page (need to put that throughout the site).

Thanks again for the feedback. I've always felt site had a great deal of additional potential, to expand on its current offerings, while still motivating people to write and share their work. It's good to see that many of the ideas you're proposing are the same ones we've had too.
Another Roy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »

A few clarifications:

-- Re: Photos. I once set out to do an entire batch with photos, but gave up because it was too much work. I wouldn't make photos a requirement for each entry, but rather let people post photo for a single entry if they felt it was suitable.

-- Add my vote for vanity URLs. I think I'd asked Jeff for this a while ago.

-- Allow links within an entry, yes. But also apart from the entry. I've also been posting my entries for my serial writing project on Facebook and sending them by e-mail, and on those postings I always add a link to the entry that preceded mine, so that people can read my inspiration. Obviously this cannot be part of the word count. Anyway, your software already allows it, it's just the rules that don't. To avoid spam, add to your voting system something that allows us to flag such misbehaviour.

-- Voting shouldn't choose which entries get featured, rather the voting system would only be used to bring entries to the moderators attention. Someone still makes the final decision, but this might make their job easier.

-- For Twitter I was suggesting 100 *character* entries. Either stories unto themselves (a challenge) or teasers for longer stories on the site.

steamed dumpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »

I think the idea of having optional photos for an entry is really wonderful.  I also find the idea of having comments on entries completely terrifying, although I don't know why.   Shocked

The consensus on the forum so far seems to be to make sure that the changes be optional, which is very reasonable.  Some of them are really exciting and cool, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other people suggest.
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »

I think the idea of having optional photos for an entry is really wonderful.  I also find the idea of having comments on entries completely terrifying, although I don't know why.   Shocked

The consensus on the forum so far seems to be to make sure that the changes be optional, which is very reasonable.  Some of them are really exciting and cool, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other people suggest.

I do want to be careful not to alienate or intimidate the people that have made 100 Words a success for so long. So, in the case of allowing comments, I would definitely allow a user to opt-out of that.

Ideally, all feedback and comments would be positive or at least polite & constructive. The anonymity of the Internet sometimes brings out the cruelest sides of people, no doubt feeling they need to unleash the torrent of pent-up meanness they themselves have been subjected to for too long.
steamed dumpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:56:15 PM »

I agree that if you did create a comments feature it would mostly be used for encouragement and positive comments, because everyone on this site seems really nice.  For the same reason, I don't think anyone on here would abuse the "vote featured" button, which was something that one of the other posters on here was concerned about.

While the members of 100words are some very classy people and would only leave classy comments, I have a feeling we would also get a flood of comments advertising cheap generic drugs from Russian spam-bots.  (We have almost 200 members on this forum... I think the spam-bots are preparing to strike.)
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »

While the members of 100words are some very classy people and would only leave classy comments, I have a feeling we would also get a flood of comments advertising cheap generic drugs from Russian spam-bots.  (We have almost 200 members on this forum... I think the spam-bots are preparing to strike.)

Yeah, thanks for the heads-up on that.

I neglected to activate the most basic email activation feature on the website to slow some of the spam. That has now been corrected. I also deleted all the accounts that had 0 posts to their name.

Hopefully, that will slow the tide a little.
Roy
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:57:40 AM »

I am happy to say that today I've added a tiny link icon, displayed when reading entries, that is a direct link to that entry.
dr1nk1ngm3rcury

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »

Some more suggestions:

-an option to make entries private or available only to select people
-an option to delete or hibernate your account
-an option to make your entries "invisible" to search engines
-maybe instead of allowing comments, have some kind of rating system for entries. Maybe a feature that would allow you to "like" someone's entry, like on Facebook
p.a.turner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »

just wanted to say, there is something wonderful about 100 Words.
It's like having a secret box full of letters stashed away.

thank you.
feeble

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »

I think this may have been covered indirectly earlier....

Would it be possible to link individual entries within 100words?

I love reading other peoples entries. They provide inspiration, relfection and conformation.

I know this could turn into a beast, rampaging links between and over all entries and all people. However this could be a personal system of connections. Shown only to the person who creates them and who ever they choose to show (maybe by a survivor/friend system).

If the links were able to have lables, they could become like literary playlists.
steamed dumpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »

Hello,

When you're logged in, you'll see a little link icon next to each entry.  Clicking that link takes you to a permanent URL for that entry.

You can read more here: http://forums.100words.com/index.php?topic=25.msg67#msg67
boytaRose

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 11:07:01 AM »

火车采集器html简单模板示范
How To Do A 360 On A Snowboard - Spin To Win With 5 Easy Tips
[标签:作者]
[标签:来源]
[标签:时间]
Ever wondered how to do a 360 on a snowboard? By following a few simple tips you can take your snowboard skills to the next level. This article will show you 5 simple and effective tips that you can come from to the hill.by MarkRedoubt
Ever wondered how to do a 360 on a snowboard? By following a few simple tips you can take your snowboard capabilities to the afterward class. This story will show you 5 simple and telling tips that you can take up to the mound.
First of all,Weeds Complete Seasons 1-6 DVD Box Set, you need to have some essential riding skills mastered. On the road to mastering 360's, you need to learn the right direction to mallet your edges,Criminal Minds Seasons 1-6 DVD Box Set, do your wind up, popup off the jump and detect your landings.
1. You tin only study how to do a 360 aboard a snowboard when you have got backside, frontside and cab (fakie) 180's down. You ambition only bring an end to ... frustrating yourself until you have these simple basics mastered. You tin practice whirling 360's above smooth land in mandate apt obtain the sensibility down. Do them both with and without your embark on.
2. Sticking your edges is important to spinning a 360 properly. You absence to create a solid platform because you to jump from. Practice carving on your toe and heel edges. Start by trying to spin off a small side jump,JAG (Judge Advocate General) Complete Seasons 1-10 DVD Boxset, which you can approach on your toe or heel edge. Get the feeling down and don't worry almost falling for the jump ought only be small.
3. The wind up not only assists you to spin yet also makes your spins look stylish. As you hit the base of the jump, wind up in the opposite way you want to spin and not sooner. Release your momentum to start your spin. You want to use your weapon, shoulders,Charmed Seasons 1-8 DVD Collection, hips and knees to spin your body approximately. You will need extra wind up for smaller jumps and less for bigger ones. 
4. Releasing off the lips of the jump occurs by the last second. You want the board facing straight down the hill when you pop off the jump and not pointed to the side. Simply move your knees down through the found of the jump as you wind up to really pop off the top lips.
5. You should be capable to see your landing area as you rotate past 270 degrees. If you start be act backside 360's, you can really get the feel of your shoulders turning to open as you spot your landing. Your legs should touch down smoothly to absorb the landing. After you have successfully academic how to do a 360 on a snowboard,Andromeda Complete Season 2 DVD Box Set, increase distinct backside 180 to start your leadership of 540's.
These tips will give you a pate start on learning how to do a 360 on a snowboard. Remember that you need to have 180's down premier. Next you can start knowledge how to stick edges, wind up, unlock and finally, smudge landings.

How To Make Cheap Booklets An Instant Reality Fo CSI New York Season 3 DVD Boxse

Naval Criminal Investigative Service Season 8 DVD
mlikssoi

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 06:51:43 AM »

Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple is a Temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is a hindu temple. Now it is under royal family of Travancore. It is one of the 108 Divya Desam. It is a principal centre of Vaishnavism, Lord Balarama. Balarama visited this Temple and took bath from padmatheertham and done several offerings. The origin of Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple is lost .The temple has reference in Epics and Puranas. The Temple is glorified by Divya Prabhandam,chanel purses, it is the early medieval Tamil literature of Tamil Alvar modified structurally. The Temple is a replica of Sri Adigeswara Perumal Temple at Thiruvattur. Thivanandapuram got its name from Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple,mulberry factory shop, Thiru ‘Anantha’ Puram means abode of Lord Ananda Padmanaba. The city is also known as the city of Bliss,108471, Anandapuram and Syanandapuram,chanel outlet UK, meaning bliss is not far. Sachidanda which means absolute truth is called for Supreme God by Hindus. Maharaja of Travancore is said s Sri Padmanabhadasa.  The history of temple is that, the idol of Sri Padmanabha was form at the time of vilvamangalath Swamiyar. Sri Padmanabha reclines on Serpent Anantha or Adi Shesha. The serpent have five hoods, they are facing inwards. The Lords right hand is placed on Shiva lingam. Sri Devi the Goddess of prosperity and Bhudevi,louis vuitton Italia, the Goddess of earth are both on his sides. Brahma emerges on Lotus, which comes from Navel of Lord. The deities are made from Saligramams from the banks of River Gandaki River in Nepal. The deity of Sri Padmanabha is covered with Katu sarkara yogam. It is a special ayurvedic mix,chanel bags UK, which cleans deity and it acts like a plaster. Deities are visible through three doors,, Reclining Lord and Shivalinga under the hands are visible through first door,lululemon discount  With the purchase of the Airbus aircraft ghd hair straighten,mbt sandals, Sridevi and Divakara Muni, Brahma seated in Lotus,lululemon yoga pants, so the name Padmanabha, and gold abhisheka moorthies of Lord Padmanabha, Sridevi and Bhudevi, and silver utsava moorthi are seen through second door. Lord’s feet,ghd outlet, bhudevi and Kaundinya Muni through third door. Only King of Travancore can Prostrate on Ottakkal mandapam, it is believed that anybody who prostrate there has surrendered all that he possesses to the deity.  Only those who profess the Hindu faith are permitted to enter there. Devotees should follow dress code. There are many bi-annual festivals held related to temple. Alphasy festivel in October – November, Painguni Festival in March- April are some of them. Navarathri festival is another r important festival held here. The temple is controlled by Ettara Yogam. It’s assets are cantrolled  by the trust of Royal family.  To reach Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple, it is easy from Thiruvananthapuram,cheap louis vuitton bags, as all know,mbt outlet, Thiruvananthapuram is connected by roads, rails and air transport to all parts of India and other countries.   
  For More Info:  and
bslosll7

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 06:59:29 AM »

Sahara City Homes Pune is the latest residential destination of the desire in the Cultural Capital of Maharashtra Pune. This is a chain of residential townships that has been created by the Sahara Infra. The residential township is being developed in many cities of India and in each and every city the township is considered as a hot cake. Sahara was basically a financial firm and is one of the largest multi-faceted organisations of the world,lululemon outlet canada. The very reputed Sahara City Homes are a range of delightful life,http://www.mylvspaceonline.it. The township has registered its presence in 217 cities so far.   
  Sahara City Homes Pune is located at Dhanori Lohegaon Road of Pune. It is situated right there in the heart of the Pune city having been excellently connected to the rest of the city. Being situated at the main road, it is a charming place to live. There are many place of importance in the nearby localities of the township that will certainly be a part of your life once you have started living in these homes of repute created by the Sahara Group.   
  Sahara City Homes Pune is available in 2BHK,,louis vuitton outlet, 2.5BHK & 3BHK options in proposal. These flats of Sahara City will be offering a pleasant lifestyle with its quality design and exterior. The apartments of Sahara City will be designed to have sufficient usable spaces so that you can have a larger playful life. These flats have such a fantastic design that there will be exposure to plenty of natural fresh air and light in it,   
  Sahara City Homes will have amenities to offer a pleasing lifestyle. Your life in the apartments of Sahara City Homes Pune will be very delightful and colorful. These amenities are Multi Level Security,louis vuitton borse, Infrastructure Backup,cheap louis vuitton bags, Transport Services, Bharat Maa Naman Stahl, Essential Services, Hospital,mbt sandals, Retirement Home,gucci outlet italia online,mbt shoes  who have taken over the presidential palace chanel 2.55, School,  Seamless Connectivity,gucci,http://www.giiwebs.net 98 borse louis vuitton outl, Mall & Multiplex, Environment Conversation, Hotel with Club, Clubs & Community Center and 100% Power Backup etc.   
  Sahara offer broad range of houses, commercial & retail spaces, office spaces and luxurious penthouses & villas. Our projects are planned to become living legends of class,lululemon yoga pants, comfort & elegance. The world class quality along with adequate emphasis on security & health has given us an edge over others. There are various measures to ensure multi-level security to the residents of the townships to create a safe & relaxing environment. Health of the residents is another highlighting feature of the townships where complete measure has been taken to ensure health & hygiene.   
  If you are interested in buying a residential apartment in  ,lululemon outlet, kindly contact us
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: